Have you ever entered a situation that you cannot decide what to eat? It is always a tough choice when it comes to choosing between ice-cream and froyo, chicken wings and fries, pancakes and waffles or pizza and pasta. I mean at least for me. Some food are meant to be eaten together.
Last sunday after a long day of baking, I was lying on bed and seeking comfort with one of my favourite show on the TLC channel – Jamie’s 30 minutes meal. It was therapeutic to watch him cook everything within 30mins especially that salivating pasta. How can he make something so delicious looking so simple? I told myself I got to try it one day.
Then I went on to my next standard routine before sleeping, browsing through Facebook and I chanced upon this article from Buzzfeed Food on Pasta. Suddenly this crazy idea came into my mind like ” Hey! I can do this… I am gonna make Pizza Pasta tomorrow!”.
Thank god for the leftover sausages, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese (Perfect Italiano) from the pizza making previously in the fridge. It has saved me a trip from the supermarket. The melted mozzarella cheese on top of the pasta just gave the whole dish a lift by adding the extra oomph. I can’t describe to you how much I love this dish. All I can say is this dish can serve 4 pax but me and my glutton partner cleared it all in a heartbeat.
[Recipe] Pizza Pasta
(adapted from Jamie’s 30 mins meal & Buzzfeed Food)
350g German Bratwurst Sausages (or any of your favourite sausages)
1/2 Carrot (finely chopped)
1/2stalk of Celery (finely chopped)
1/2 Yellow Onions (finely chopped)
2 Bird-eye Chilis
3tbsp Olive Oil
Fist-sized of Fresh English Parsley
4tbsp Olive Oil
3cloves of Garlic
2 rice bowl-sized of Penne
400g of Chopped Tomatoes (tin)
Handful of Fresh Basil
1 pack of Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients in meat mixture together.
2. Cook the pasta in a boiling water with salt and oil.
3. Remove the pasta from the boiling water 1-2mins earlier before the stipulated cooking time on the pasta package.
4. Run the cooked pasta through the tap water, drained it and let it rest.
(Do not throw away the starch water that used to cook the pasta)
5. Add the oil and butter from the pasta mixture into a heated sauce pan.
(The addition of oil will prevent the butter from smoking)
6. Sauté the garlic in the oil and butter mixture to release fragrance.
7. Add the meat mixture and stir well.
8. Once the meat and vegetables in the mixture are cooked, add the chopped tomatoes in.
9. Add a cup of the starch water into the tomato tin and pour it into the saucepan.
10. Add the chilis for some heat and allow it to simmer and reduce a little.
11. Add the cooked pasta and toss it well so the pasta can absorb the flavours of the sauce.
12. Toss the pasta as many times as you can and let the sauce reduce further.
13. Lastly toss in the handful of basil for the extra flavour.
14. Add salt and pepper to taste.
15. Transfer the pasta into a oven-friendly dish unless you are using a cast-iron pan that can enter the oven.
16. Sprinkle it with the Pizza Plus cheese all over the pasta. (I used one whole pack)
17. Decorate your Pizza Pasta with some pepperoni.
18. Put it into a preheated oven at 200 degree c for 10mins.
19. Once done, sprinkle it with some chopped fresh parsley and it is ready to be served.
This dish is made perfectly with addition of Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus for sure. You can check out their website as here to find out how you can create more recipes with their cheeses. To make it easier for grocery shopping, Perfect Italiano Cheese are available in all leading supermarkets.
After reading the above, are you tempted to rush down to the supermarket, grab the ingredients above and cook away?
At least I am, again :p