Recently there are so many Kor-Mex (Korean-Mexican) eateries which I thought the marriage of the two loud flavours are pretty good. But why hven’t people attempt Kor-lian or Ita-Kor-lian food (my attempt to make Korean-Italian food sounds cool). Anyway I watching my food TV shows the other day (so typical of me) and saw Judy Joo making a hybrid sandwich sub – Spicy Pork Belly Cheesesteak. I was really really attempted to make that but I got one problem. I couldn’t find the perfect italian roll for the sub and that’s how my Korean Spicy Pork Belly Pizza was born.
Generous toppings of Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus cheese.
[Recipe] Korean Spicy Pork Belly Pizza
makes two 10” pizzas
(adapted from Jamie Oliver & Korean Food made Simple)
500g bread flour plus extra for dusting
1/2 x 7g sachet of active dry yeast
338g tepid water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
250g pork belly slices
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 tablespoon gochujang (marination)
2 tablespoon gochujang (pizza base)
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
60g Anchor salted butter, melted
1 small onion, thinly sliced
150g shiitake mushrooms, thinly slice
2 green chilies, thinly sliced
75g Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus cheese
- Mix the bread flour, salt, yeast on a clean table surface.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the tepid water.
- Gradually mix the flour with the water until it comes together.
- Once combined, knead the dough on a flour dusted surface for 10-15mins.
- Then place it in a lightly oiled bowl, cling wrap it and let it prove in a warm place for around a hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, marinate the pork belly with garlic, gochujang, ginger, mirin, soy sauce and sesame oil. Leave it aside till assembly.
- Add 30g of Anchor salted butter into a heated pan and sauté both onion and mushroom. (Tips: Add the onions first, cook it for 3mins before adding the mushrooms. Don’t cook it for more than 5mins in total.)
- Once the dough is doubled in size, knock it back and divide the dough into 2.
- Cover the dough again and let it prove for another 30mins.
- Preheat your oven to 210 degree c or set it to pizza (fresh) mode if available.
- After the 2nd proving, one by one, gently pull and stretch the dough out.
- Place the stretched dough on a pizza pan or a big baking tray.
- Lightly brush the dough with the remaining melted Anchor salted butter.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of gochujang on a pizza respectively.
- Fill the pizza with marinated pork belly, onion, mushrooms, Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus cheese and chilis.
- Bake the pizza for 15-20mins or till golden brown.